A very large percentage of technical information that is generated across the globe reside in the patent databases.
Below chart depicts breakup according to country and application type for major filing countries. Data Source – patentanalysis.com
Data collected through a survey say that there are:
- 72 million patent documents worldwide
- appx. 15 million inventions
- 1,000,000 patent in last 10 years
- Weekly – More than 10,000 new patents
- Every 30 seconds a new patent document is added to the vast technical library of patent documents
The statistics clearly indicates:
- Increase in R & D efforts
- Increase in patent filing efforts
- Increase in market coverage through family patent filing
- Patent grant rate is bound to go down. According to a study, already the Belgium PTO has a 30% grant rate
- Risk of reinventing the wheel, if patentability / prior art search not performed thoroughly
- Large number of patents may get invalidated by other relevant patents thus causing many infringement law suits to become void
- Need of clearance would increase
The objective and target of any organization is growth at 45 degree on x & Y axis through best products, best services etc… with latest innovations. Ever since recession has hit the western market the economy and jobs are melting like never before, chapter 11 filing cases are increasing. After all to run an organization revenue has to be generated. As newspapers across North America and the globe continue to flood with stories of economic downturn and businesses fighting to survive, organizations this month are placing a renewed focus on innovation and revenue generation.
Revenue generation through patent lawsuits is the new trend. 35 patent lawsuits have been filed just in 5 plus month time during 2009, wonder how many more are there. Surely first half of 2009 is not good for Google in terms of lawsuits, total 14 lawsuit are been battled.
Lawsuit filing cases of 2009:
- Aloft Media, LLC v. Yahoo! Inc. et al
- Performance Pricing, Inc. v. Google Inc. et al
- Leader Technologies Inc. v. Facebook Inc.
- Actus, LLC v. Bank of America Corp. et al
- Paid Search Engine Tools, LLC v. Google, Inc. et al
- ESN LLC v. Cisco Systems, Inc. et al
- Heartland Recreational Vehicles LLC v. Forest River Inc
- Software Rights Archive, LLC v. Google Inc. et al
- Northeastern University et al v. Google, Inc.,
- Polaris IP, LLC v. Google Inc. et al
- Function Media, L.L.C. v. Google, Inc. et al
- Aloft Media, LLC v. Google, Inc.
- GraphOn Corporation v. Google Inc.
- Google, Inc. v. EMSAT Advanced Geo-Location Technology, LLC et al
- Picsel (Research) Ltd. et al v. Apple Inc.
- Web Tracking Solutions, Inc. et al v. Google, Inc.
- Association For Molecular Pathology et al v. United States Patent and Trademark Office et al
- Cygnus Systems, Inc. v. Microsoft Corporation, et al
- Google Inc. et al v. Egger et al
- Certicom Corporation et al v. Sony Corporation et al
- Klausner Technologies Inc v. Verizon Wireless et al
- Clark v. The Walt Disney Company et al
- HYPERPHRASE TECHNOLOGIES, LLC v. GOOGLE INC.
- BabyAge..com, Inc. v. Leachco, Inc.
- IP Innovation LLC et al v. Google, Inc.
- Elan Microelectronics Corporation v. Apple, Inc.
- Bid for Position, LLC v. AOL, LLC et al
- Soilworks LLC v Midwest Industrial Supply Inc
- Priest et al v Google Inc.
- 21 srl v. Apple Inc. et al
- PACid Group, LLC v. Apple Inc. et al
- Accolade Systems LLC v. Micron Technology Inc et al
- Affinity Labs of Texas, LLC v. Apple, Inc.
- Clear With Computers, LLC v. Bassett Furniture Industries, Inc. et al
- Motorola Inc v. Research In Motion Limited et al